Monday, February 3, 2014

SIRS Issue Researcher and Discoverer

SIRS Discoverer
I searched armadillos in SIRS Discoverer and was amazed by the number of results that were found (87 total articles).  I really liked that at the top of the page it divides it into the types of articles they are (magazine, newspaper, reference article, etc.) I could see this being very helpful in my classroom as my students do projects where they are required to have at least one non-internet based source.  I have used this before in my Communication Arts classes but will have to remember to use it next year in my science classes as the students are required to have at least one book source for their science fair projects! I also liked that the reading levels ranged all the way from third grade to ninth grade reading levels.  I also liked the links that show before you even click on a link whether or not it contains pictures (majority of them do!).  The captions on the pictures are also very helpful (using graphic aids)!

I selected the country of Russia because of the upcoming Olympics! The site provided a plethora of information on Russia all neatly broken into categories to help students zero in on the information they are looking for.

In the Maps of the World, I found a map of Georgia.  I could see these maps being very useful in my classroom.  My students just two weeks ago had to find major landmarks covered in a class novel and label them on the map to help us track the journey the young girl takes in the novel.  The students could have found maps of each state on the list to identify and focused in on what they needed.  They seemed to struggle having the map of the US and I think this would alleviate some of the confusion!

As a middle school science teacher, I went into the educator's resources and found the link to the science fair explorer. I thought it was wonderful that it broke the potential projects in to areas.  Then the students could focus on what areas interest them the most (recycling, the bathroom, the kitchen, etc.)  I will definitely be showing my students this link next year when we choose science fair topics!  There are multiple choices for each individual interest area.

SIRS Issue Researcher
I chose a major issue in schools today, bullying. As a Communication Arts teacher, I loved the links to the research tools! What a great way to help students organize the information they are finding in their research. The site also does a great job of defining the problem and why it is a major issue.  I was amazed that the number of amazing articles that were linked below (pages upon pages of articles).  I could see myself using this in my classroom when we do research papers here in a few weeks.  The students could choose a side and defend their side of the issue based on the information they have found.

I chose my favorite subject to be creative writing.  As a teacher, what a wonderful link to ideas on implementing creative writing within my classroom.  This will definitely be put to good use as I begin teaching a separate writing course next school year! One of the ideas I can already see coming into my classroom are the Edgar Allan Poe Museum ideas. We read The Tell Tale Heart with our 8th graders and I would love to share with them the link on the mystery of Edgar Allen Poe's death.  I would love to see what their theories would be for how Poe might have died! I am very glad to have had the opportunity to dive deeper into this great resource! THANK YOU!

1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

Thank you! Your post is so fun to read! All your discoveries and ideas for using the resources are inspiring! I want to come to your classes :)
The Science Fair Explorer in SIRS Discoverer is great fun--for more science / nature projects, check out SIRS Discoverer >> Special Features >> Activities >> Science and Nature Projects. There is a great list there too.

Thanks so much for your post!
Julie