Monday, March 10, 2014

AncestryLibrary, HeritageQuest, and Sanborn Maps

On AncestryLibrary, I tried searching my own name and found zero results pertaining to myself.  Most of the results I found were only based on my last name (I also tried my maiden name as well to see if I could find anything there and no luck).

Next on AncestryLibrary, I chose to search for information on my maternal grandfather.  I was able to find information on his birth certificate, marriage certificate, and death certificate.  I was also able to find information of a school, church, and library directory.  I found it interesting that they list the social security number?

When searching for pictures linked to South Dakota, I was amazed at the number of resources that were yearbook pictures from various locations around the state.  I found an interesting link of a club started at what was called Wesleyan School (I assume what is known as Dakota Wesleyan University now) which was called the Bolivian Club.  Apparently it was a club founded by 3 students who were interested in Bolivia, South America, which eventually grew to 30 members! A very unique group in my opinion! Very different from any college group you would find today.

I have tried several times to open the HeritageQuest link and each time I try it brings nothing up but a blank white page? I am not sure if the link is not working or if it is an issue on my end??

In Sanborn Maps, I chose to search for information about my hometown of Parkston, SD.  I chose to search for the information from 1928-1938.  I was able to see a plot map of the city and where the homes were located at that time.  Very interesting to see all the homes so separated from one another! How different from today where some houses seem to be right on top of one another!

1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

Fascinating discoveries! Your observations in Ancestry and Sanborn Maps are super!

I double checked your Heritage Quest access--there is a technical issue with your account that should be resolved on Tuesday. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks for the post,
Julie